Join me in Oceanside, CA for a special Jazzercise class April 15, 2019 at 9:30 a.m.!
I’ll be there!
Dancing with Legends: Sweating at Jazzercise
When Becca and I attended our first Jazzercise class, we had to wait for people to pour out of the building before we could make our way into the classroom. The ladies who were coming out from the 8:15 a.m. class were saying “Hi” to those who were coming in. Everyone seemed to know each other. Everyone was in an elevated mood.
We came for the Dance Mixx class. After we shed our coats, we settled into our corner in the back as women of all ages filled the room. Soon, the instructor turned on the music. The warm-up began. We lunged, lifted, switch-ball changed, and shimmied through Ciara, Cardi B, Bruno Mars and more. The music was modern and the moves were challenging. Most importantly, the mood was laid back, yet upbeat. After moving through a series of cardio-heavy choreographed dances, our heart rates were up. Then, we reached for weights for strength training and core. Before we knew it, we were stretching and saying goodbye. I went back for seconds with intern Sarah and loved it. She thinks she might get addicted.
A few things I learned about Jazzercise:
- Some women in the room had been doing Jazzercise for 35 years! I feel like that’s a true testament that the workout is not only sustainable, but effective.
- It’s way harder than I imagined. I was sore for a few days, actually. I work out regularly and a few muscles got love that usually get neglected in other workouts.
- You can burn 800 calories in one class. 800 calories!!
- The workout is for men and women of all ages. There are modifications for those with injuries or age and amplifications if you came ready to expend some energy.
- Jazzercise has built a foundation for a community. The women here know each other by name. They take care of each other. They catch up before and after class. They care for one another. It’s really warming to watch unfold. I felt loved myself.
- The class instructor was positioned on a platform in the front of the room. This sounds simple, but this detail made it easier to follow along than other group class I’ve taken.
- Jazzercise has been doing the dance party workout thing since 1969! This year is its 50th Anniversary. That’s very impressive.
- Just because it’s been around for 50 years doesn’t mean it’s stale. This is a real, modern, effective workout. Women are wearing real workout clothes. No one is bopping around in scrunchies and leotards.
- Every class is different. Each instructor uses the choreography and songs they like the most and piece them together, while still following the same trajectory of increased heart rate, strength training, to a cool down. The instructors receive new choreography every 10 weeks with new, current music and moves designed for impact.
Wanna give Jazzercise a try?
Get $20 off when you join for the first time!
I’m going to the Richmond Fitness Center at 7115-A Staples Mill Road, Henrico, VA. If you’re local, let them know Sweet Sauce sent you!
Otherwise, check out one of the Jazzercise locations across the country. You might be surprised to find out how close one is to you. Click here to find out.